When any gas appliance is installed or serviced, a gas safety certificate must be produced so the customer is given peace of mind that the boiler, gas fire or central heating system complies with all safety regulations.
The gas safety information tells you that the gas appliance or gas fitting has been checked, that it is working safely and meets the correct safety standards. This information will also be a reminder of when you next need to service the appliance. It’s important to get all gas appliances regularly serviced once a year, to ensure they are working efficiently and safely.
Certainly in rental properties, it is a legal requirement that landlords must produce these for safety standards, ensuring that all new tenants, as well as long term lets, have all the regulation certificates necessary for their rental property. At GME Group we will always complete Gas Safety Certificates and will supply the private individual, businesses and landlords, with a copy of the gas safety certificate, showing due diligence and proving that the gas appliance is in good working order and safe to use.
If you are a landlord, then you will be responsible for the safety of your tenants. Landlords’ duties apply to all types of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, which includes:
- Residential properties provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives or hostels
- Rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and also hotels
- Holiday accommodation such as rental chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.
If you let a property equipped with any gas appliances you must take note of the following:
- Maintenance of pipework, appliances and flues. They must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe for tenants to use.
- A record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to the tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years. These will be supplied as standard by GME Group.
All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe heating engineer.
We take health and safety extremely seriously at GME Group and will always advise our customers if there are any possible issues that need immediate attention. Call us now on 01435 868988 if you want to enquire about getting new Gas Safety Certificates.